MIDDLETOWN TEEN TALENT SEARCH
The First Annual Middletown Teen Talent Search was a huge success with a vast pool of great talent from all over Connecticut. The event was held on Saturday, February 9th at Oddfellows Playhouse and we sold out! Each contestant was scheduled for a “Qualifying Round” performance slot between 1 & 5 pm. The qualifying performances were free and open to friends & family. A panel of judges selected 12 contestants to advance to the Final Round, which was held at 7 pm and open to the public. Each contestant who did not advance to the Final was given a complimentary ticket to the Final Round. Each finalist received 2 complimentary tickets for friends or family to attend the Final Round. The final round was hosted by Connecticut’s first African-American State Troubadour, Nekita Waller. General admission tickets were $10 for adults and $5 for kids.
Rules for contestants:
Rules for contestants:
- Performances will be accepted in any performance form – dance, music, circus, theater, comedy, magic, you name it.
- Contestants can be soloists or groups. No one over 19 years of age on the day of the show may perform in the Middletown Teen Talent Search. Groups may contain performers under 12, but only if there is at least one person in the group who meets the guidelines. Performers must live in Middletown or neighboring towns
- Performances cannot contain any profanity or inappropriate sexuality or violence.
- Performers will have an open stage area of about 24 feet wide and 16 feet deep.
- 4 cordless microphones, mike stands and chairs will be available if needed. Anyone needing additional equipment must contact the Playhouse ahead of time to see if it can be arranged. Basic theater lighting will be provided for each act.
- Registration fee for the MTTS is $5 per performer. Deadline to register as a performer is two days before the event. All performers must submit a registration form and fee by that date to qualify for the MTTS.
- A panel of judges will make decisions about finalists and winners. Judges are volunteers with significant experience in the performing arts. Judges who have a personal connection to specific performers will be asked to abstain from voting on those performers. Judges decisions are final.
- Grand prize is $500. Runner up receives $250. Additional awards will be given to other finalists in various categories (Best Dance Act, Best Musical Act, Most Original, etc)